Objectives: learn and master the issues, specificities, and basics of the flat lay clothing photography, textiles and laid out clothing, know how to take into account the principle differences in shots, position different references on a set, choose a lighting and prepare it, master shooting, and learn the basics of photographic post-processing.
Sectoral training in Packshot photographic production for flat-lay clothing
Duration: 1 day (8 hours).
Participants : 4-8.
Presenter: photographer specialized in product photography and animation, as well as in image processing, with educational experience.
Method and educational resources: the photography training program in the laid out fashion industry takes place in a fully equipped photo studio. The provided photo equipment: Canon 1100D, 650D, or superior. Software: PackshotCreator and PackshotViewer, Lightroom and Photoshop.
Public: actors in the world of fashion and textiles: textile artists, designers, stylists, manufacturers, project managers, product technicians, buyers, category managers, or even product controllers.
Prerequisite: basic computer knowledge on PC or Mac.
Outline of the fashion industry (flat-lay) photographic training program
1- Introduction to the challenges and specificities of the sector:
- For the e-commerce actors, the sale at a distance of clothing items can generate suspicion, or even distrust from the consumer when the photos are of poor quality on the digital canals. What is the technique for successfully taking in mind the specificities of the different segments of fashion industry (for children, women, and men)?
- Professional and protective clothing, or even beachwear?
- What are the codes of the fashion industry?
- Introduction to different types of lighting: daylight, neon, LED, and flash management.
- Sorting and grouping of different references for the shootings by characteristics
- Basic shooting principles of the main clothing categories of flat-lay clothing: speed, aperture, sensitivity, and depth of focus.
- Introduction about flat-lay clothes shooting
- Prepare and equip the photo studio.
- Prepare and position items for the flat-lay shooting: jackets and long coats, coats and hoodies, sweaters, shirts, blouses, t-shirts, polos, hats and tank tops, dresses, shorts, or even lingerie.
- Create a system of repeatability of object placement (ghost image).
- Install and adjust the lighting depending upon the size and subject material (from cotton to wool, as well as linen, the different types of mesh and the synthetic textiles). Definition of shadowed areas to highlight various products.
- Camera management : exposure, adjustment, and focus.
- Adjust camera according to the product photographed.
- Preview on Live View.
- Shooting of different products and work on certain details, aspects, and textures: logos, flocking, labels, and leathers.
- Case studies of different types of ready-to-wear products.
- Touch-ups: verification of sharpness, framing, and optimization of the product visual colors.
- Export the images to the desired format.
- Visuals storage.
The benefits of this program
Knowledge of theoretical and practical fundamentals tied to visual production in the fashion industry for flat-lay shootings. These fundamentals enable you to master the necessary basics of quality visuals production, directly useable on print or web mediums. The trainee will be able to place and photograph objects on neutral backgrounds ready to be integrated into a catalogue, onto an e-commerce website for a database, or even for quality control.
30-day post-training follow-up.
Recognition of acquired skills
Certificate of completion of sectoral training in Packshot photographic production for fashion, flat-lay clothing.
Discover our in-depth sectoral training content
Discover our module about framing and object composition.
Our comprehensive cycles
Discover our customized sectoral training courses.