Objectives: expand on the issues, specificities, and the basics of product photography in the fashion industry with mannequins (worn) through practical situational workshops for various clothes and accesories. Practical workshops on positioning and composition for different varieties of clothing and accessories. Expand on and master the basics of photo touch-ups. Understand and master the photographic process.
In-depth sectoral training* in Packshot photographic production for worn fashion
Duration: 1 day (8 hours).
Presenter: photographer specialized in product photography and animation, as well as in image processing, with educational experience.
Method and educational resources: the training program takes place in a fully equipped photo studio with all necessary material. The camera equipment provided: Canon 5D or equivalent. Software: PackshotCreator and PackshotViewer, Lightroom and Photoshop.
After a review of the fundamentals, the trainees organize, with the help of the trainer, their photo studio. Real-situation workshops for different cases of product shooting with constraints and graphic charters defined by the trainer.
Public: actors in the world of fashion and textiles: textile artists, designers, stylists, manufacturers, project managers, product technicians, buyers, category managers, or even product controllers.
Prerequisite: basic photographic knowledge (manual settings, light sources…)
Outline of the training program
1-Reminder and expansion on the challenges and specificities of the industry:
- Panorama of the market and industry trends with the development of store concepts for fashion
- Understand and arrange the large variety of references on different types of fake and real models for photo shootings, as well as highlight the collections and articles of e-stores with the help of visuals and animations of clothing and accessories.
- Review of the principles of fashion product photography: speed, aperture, sensitivity, and depth of focus.
- Introduction to the benefits, challenges, and constraints of multi-angle, 360°, and 3D modeling.
- Indexing and consolidation of products for the shooting.
- Prepare and equip the photo studio.
- Prepare and place different references of mannequins/models
- Create a system to repeat the same placement for various similar products: for the shots of diverse clothing of a collection for child fashion, polos of a same brand… (ghost image).
- Install and adjust the lighting system depending upon the size and texture of the subject.
- Placement of different light sources and shapers: soft boxes, reflectors, and barn doors.
- Shooting settings: speed, sensitivity, aperture, white balance.
- Adjustments and preview live on monitor.
- Use the screen for shooting: the Live View.
- Practical case studies of different types of products and product compositions of the industry: how to prepare and shoot one’s references so as to present a “box” of clothing for women.
- Evaluations by workshop of trainee photo productions performed by the trainer.
- Verification of the sharpness of photos, of their framing, and colorimetry.
- Cropping of products photos and compositions.
- Improvement of contrasts and colors.
- Amplify or reduce glares and flashes / shadows / sharpness and digital noise.
- Harmonize the photo background.
- Export the images to the desired format for use on different types of media: from the e-shop to visuals for animating social networks…
- Organize and stock of images and animations/metadata and tagging.
The benefits of this program
The theoretical and practical in-depth program tied to the fashion industry (“ghost” worn) prepares you for the production of directly useable high definition visuals in “responsive web design”, for the use of visuals on printed media, or even for databases and archiving. The program prepares for the constraints imposed by precise specifications and perfects photographic post-production.
30-day post-training follow-up. Continuous and end of course evaluation.
Recognition of acquired skills
Certificate of completion of in-depth sectoral training in Packshot photographic production for fashion with mannequins.