Objectives: expand on the issues, specificities, and basics of product macrophotography in cosmetics, jewelry, and horology through practical situational workshops. Practical workshops on positioning and composition for different product varieties. Expand on and master the basics of photo touch-ups. Understand and master the flows of photographic production.
In-depth sectoral training in Packshot photographic production - Macrophotography
Duration: 1 day (8 hours).
Presenter: photographer specialized in product photography and animation, as well as in image processing, with educational experience.
Method and educational resources: the training program takes place in a fully equipped studio with all necessary material. The camera equipment provided: Canon 5D or equivalent. Software: Packshot Creator and Viewer, Lightroom and Photoshop. After a review of the fundamentals, the trainees organize, with the help of the trainer, their photo studio. Real-situation workshops for different cases of product shooting with constraints and graphic charters defined by the trainer.
Public: actors in the world of jewelry, horology, and cosmetics.
Prerequisites: basic photographic knowledge (manual settings, light sources,).
Outline of the macrophotographic training program
1-Reminder and expansion on the challenges and specificities of the industry:
- To convince the potential buyer to purchase a piece of jewelry, a watch, or luxury make-up on the internet, a quality visual and/or its interactivity are the best arguments.
- Review of the different types of visuals and problematics in product macrophotography for cosmetics, jewelry, and horology.
- Reminder of the basic principles of photo shootings: speed, aperture, sensitivity, and depth of focus.
- Introduction to the benefits, challenges, and constraints of macrophotographic shooting, multi-angle, 360°, and 3D modeling.
- Indexing and consolidation of products for the shooting.
- Prepare and organize the photo set.
- Prepare and place compositions of multiple products: watches, sets of earrings, specificities of shooting diamonds (the 4 Cs), product shots of make-up, lipstick…
- Create a system of repeatability for subject placement (ghost image).
- Install and adjust the lighting depending upon the size and texture of the subject. Placement of different light sources and shapers: soft boxes, reflectors, and barn doors.
- Shooting settings: speed, sensitivity, aperture, white balance.
- Adjustments and direct preview with the Live View.
- Management of glares (on different types of precious stones, metals…)
- Use the screen for shooting: the Live View.
- Realizations of case studies of different types of products and compositions in cosmetics, jewelry, and horology.
- Detail macrophotography on various pieces in horology and jewelry (mechanisms, fasteners, reflection of different metals and precious stones).
- Evaluations by workshop of trainee photo productions performed by the trainer.
- Verification of the sharpness, framing, and colorimetry.
- Optimization of contrasts and colors.
- Amplify or reduce glares and flashes / shadows / sharpness and digital noise.
- Harmonize the backgrounds.
- Export image files to desired format according to various integration media (Web or print).
- Organize and stock of photos and animations.
The benefits of the program
The theoretical and practical in-depth training program tied to the world of cosmetics, horology, and jewelry prepares you for the realization of ready-to-use profesionals photos and animations, integratable on different web or print communication media, for archiving, or even quality control. It enables you to face the constraints encountered photo studio and those imposed by precise specifications. It improve photographic post-production knowledge.
30-day post-training follow-up. Continuous and end of course evaluation.
Recognition of acquired skills
Certificate of completion of in-depth sectoral training in Packshot macrophotographic production.